Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Biodiesel developed from used animal fats, vegetable oils

By Helen Flores

Researchers from the Aklan State University have developed diesel additives from used animal fats and vegetable oils, the Philippine Council for Agriculture, Forestry and Natural Resources Research and Development (PCARRD) said.

Based on the study, used animal fats and vegetable oils from meat processing plants and food chains can be converted into biodiesel, which may be used in a standard combustion engine without modifications and may be blended with petroleum diesel to improve its quality.

These wastes, the researchers said, produce a clear liquid without unpleasant smell with the same properties as mineral fossil diesel oil.

ASU researchers said an engine fueled by a mixture of 80 percent petroleum diesel and 20 percent biodiesel has lesser smoke emissions and lower engine noise compared to that fueled by pure petroleum diesel.

The study also showed that petroleum diesel and biodiesel were similar in density, viscosity, pH, cloud point, and freezing point.

“Biodiesel does not only provide sustainable energy, but also ensures a sustainable environment because it is renewable or recyclable,” the researchers said.

Citing a previous study by the Department of Science and Technology, PCARRD said the biodiesel from vegetable oils and animal fats have been found to match, if not surpass, petroleum diesel in terms of engine performance and lifespan.

“Incidentally, the problem of disposing 2,000 kilograms of waste animal fats and oils produced by meat product manufacturers and food servers in Kalibo, Aklan and Boracay Island every month motivated the ASU researchers to conduct this study,” PCARRD said.

PCARRD said biodiesel is produced through “transesterification.” In this process, alcohol is used in the presence of a catalyst such as sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide to produce alcohol esters of animal fats with glycerin as byproduct.

PCARRD said it evaluated this study during the recent Western Visayas Agriculture and Resources Research and Development Consortium Research and Development Symposium.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have good articles here! If anyone here looking for loan @ 2% rate in return to buy home or other financing needs, I want you to contact Mr Benjamin On 247officedept@gmail.com Also On Whats-App + 1-989-394-3740When I was introduced to Mr. Benjamin, I was entering the market as a first time buyer. Naturally,my needs were a bit different and I had loads of questions. Before he sent me my pre-approval letter, he called to speak with me about what it meant and what could change. He made himself available to me at pretty much any hour via email and texts. He was very responsive and knowledgeable. He’s also very straightforward. I explained to him what my expectations were in terms of closing time and other particulars. He said he would meet those expectations but he surpassed them. I closed so quickly my realtor and the seller of course were excited about that. But as a buyer I appreciated being walked through the process of Mr Benjamin loan offer. From pre-approval to closing- the journey was so seamless and I consider myself lucky because I’ve heard horror stories. I recommend him to anyone looking for a loan. Everything was handled electronically expediently and securely